Well, if everything had gone according to plan, Shannon and I would be in Peru right now! Unfortunately, as you may have heard, the Cusco area was hit with some pretty brutal flooding recently, and many of the places we were planning to visit are now closed or inaccessible... or at least pretty roughed up. The railroad to Machu Picchu -- the only way to get in and out of there -- was hit by severe mudslides, and won't be running again for at least month or two. (All the folks who were in Machu Picchu at the time, including some friends of mine, were stuck there for days and had to be flown out by helicopter!)
Anyhow, to make a long story short, we've canceled the trip for now. But let's face it... the disappointment of a postponed vacation is incredibly small potatoes compared to what the folks who live there have had to deal with. So you won't hear me complaining about it here! We'll just put things on hold for now. And hopefully, we'll be visiting a fully recovered Cusco sometime later this year!