Ultimate Comic/Webcomic Madness!

Comics, Games, Music, Film, Television, Current Events... this is the place to talk about other people and the things they are doing.

Moderators: Rai, mixofsunandcloud, Kelso, Hidalgo, Max Headroom

Re: Ultimate Comic/Webcomic Madness!

Postby Ben » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:58 pm

you managed to get a hold of justice leauge dark yet? It's the only one from the dark series I haven't been able to read yet.
Ben
Influential Ninja Elder

Postby Robert McSantos » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:11 pm

In the end, I've decided on five of the new 52 that I think are both objectively good enough and interesting enough to me personally to be worth continuing on a regular basis.

Action Comics, Aquaman, Green Lantern, Green Lantern: New Guardians, and Justice League. So 1 Superman book, 2 Justice League books, and 2 Green Lantern books.

Five comics might not seem like a lot, but I am trying to save some money for when Multiversity hits next year.
Robert McSantos
Ninja Intern

Postby Ben » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:12 pm

Really? No Animal Man or Swamp Thing?

I haven't tried Green Lantern yet cause I heard it wasn't really doing the reboot thing and was just continuing from the storyline it had going wich I haven't been following at all? Is it a decent jumping on point though?
Ben
Influential Ninja Elder

Postby Tekkactus » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:15 pm

Nah, honestly I'm not all that confident in JLD being any good; I'm waiting a few issues to see how it's being received before picking it up.

Robert, two words my friend: scans + trades. Download it, read it, buy what you like, delete what you don't. No one should be avoiding a comic for budget reasons these days. Also, what Ben should be saying is Animal Man and Swamp Thing; they're both fighting the same villain and to get the full experience you should really follow both books. Supposedly they're gonna cross over later, too.
I'm not really working on anything at the moment, but here's a link to my tumblr anyway.

Proud Owner of 3 "I Actually Laughed Out Loud For Reals" awards.
Tekkactus
Ninja CEO

Postby Ben » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:16 pm

I heard iss 5 is when they cross over.

Honestly I only buy in trades these days. And Download till then. Buying monthlies is just crazy, esspecialy out here where they're 6 bucks each and I have to drive for 40 minutes to get to my 'local' comic shop.

Also yes I meant to say Animal Man and Swampthing.
They've gone from character I had no interest in to the most exciting thing about the relaunch.
Ben
Influential Ninja Elder

Postby Tekkactus » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:19 pm

I wonder if DC and Marvel could find a legal way to implement that? Like, put down a preorder for the trade, get pdfs of the issues sent to you as the floppies come out. Sort of a Kickstarter thing?

I'm always trying to think up ways that publishers could get comics into the hands of readers without sucking. It's difficult.
I'm not really working on anything at the moment, but here's a link to my tumblr anyway.

Tekkactus
Ninja CEO

Postby Ben » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:32 pm

Tekkactus wrote:I wonder if DC and Marvel could find a legal way to implement that? Like, put down a preorder for the trade, get pdfs of the issues sent to you as the floppies come out. Sort of a Kickstarter thing?

I'm always trying to think up ways that publishers could get comics into the hands of readers without sucking. It's difficult.

Well DC do day and date digital copies for there comics but they're still the same price as buying the books wich is stupid.

Honestly I think that DC missed out on a massive opportunity to experiment with compliation books with the new 52.

I mean imagine if every month you could go to a store and buy "DC: The Dark" which would have every issue of the dark line in it for like 20 bucks
Ben
Influential Ninja Elder

Postby Tekkactus » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:43 pm

You mean like how manga works? Seriously, I can get Shonen Jump, which is like 15 series, 250 pages of comics a month in a single book, for $25 a year. Granted, that's at a way lower printing quality than western comics are, but still, even if it was twice that price it'd be a steal.

Tekkactus
Ninja CEO

Postby Robert McSantos » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:57 am

Ben wrote:Really? No Animal Man or Swamp Thing?

Those are good books, but they're not really my thing, you know? I think it's awesome that there are people like you and Tekk who can really appreciate that kind of classy sophistication, but I just can't get into it.

You guys can have the red and the green. I'll continue to enjoy those colors in power ring form.

Ben wrote:I haven't tried Green Lantern yet cause I heard it wasn't really doing the reboot thing and was just continuing from the storyline it had going wich I haven't been following at all? Is it a decent jumping on point though?

Hal Jordan got fired.

Sinestro has a Green Lantern ring stuck on his finger that he can't get off.

You are officially caught up.
Robert McSantos
Ninja Intern

Postby Agrajag » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:47 am

Tekkactus wrote:You mean like how manga works? Seriously, I can get Shonen Jump, which is like 15 series, 250 pages of comics a month in a single book, for $25 a year. Granted, that's at a way lower printing quality than western comics are, but still, even if it was twice that price it'd be a steal.

Yeah this would be amazing. Wednesday Comics was sort of like that for the couple months it was out. You paid like $4 I think and it was cheap newspaper-quality paper, but you got like a dozen different comics.
Sam Logan wrote:When it comes to tunnels and cats, I feel like this story really delivers.

pie wrote:I have transcended commas!
Agrajag
Ninja Technician

Postby kleptoman » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:45 pm

As far as I can tell, the 4th Chew paperback collection came out two days ago. To the comic shop!
kleptoman
Ninja Captain

Postby Ben » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:48 pm

I know where I'm going on the weekend!

Also got around to readnig Justice League Dark, it's pretty good. Not Swamp Thing/Animal Man quality but enough to get me interested to read the next one.

Also read Voodoo issue 1, was decent enough. Kind of seedy.
Ben
Influential Ninja Elder

Postby Ben » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:59 am

So now he did the villian redesigns.

http://dresdencodak.tumblr.com/post/111 ... s-villains

They're kinda crap.
Ben
Influential Ninja Elder

Postby Robert McSantos » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:42 pm

Ben wrote:So now he did the villian redesigns.

http://dresdencodak.tumblr.com/post/111 ... s-villains

They're kinda crap.

They are better than the hero revamps, for whatever that's worth.

It's obvious he's more a fan of the cartoons than the comics, because a lot of his stuff is originally from there (Brainiac being the destroyer of Krypton, Luthor and Grodd having a rivalry, Cadmus being antagonists, Livewire, etc.) But there's nothing inherently wrong with that.

The one thing that jumped out at me as really strange is Cadmus creating Metallo. In almost all incarnations of the organization, Cadmus is a genetics lab, so wouldn't it make more sense for them to be behind the biological Power Girl while LexCorp is behind the cybernetic Metallo?
Robert McSantos
Ninja Intern

Postby Desov2 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:01 pm

Huntress doesn't look like a villain. Though I don't know much about Huntress in the first place so take that as you will.
Desov2
Ninja Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Media Room