Ultimate Gaming Madness

Comics, Games, Music, Film, Television, Current Events... this is the place to talk about other people and the things they are doing.

Moderators: Rai, mixofsunandcloud, Kelso

Re: Ultimate Gaming Madness

Postby Matador » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:03 pm

Mass Effect 3 was fucking awesome! So fucking good.

Has anyone else finished it yet? Yes? No?

This is specifically on what they did in the ending:
Spoiler: show
I was let down. I kind of get it. The singularity-child thingy that is the catalyst is giving you two ways of ending the cycle. It just felt really forced. Mass Effect is about choice, and those choices are supposed to make you feel creative or empowered.
Control: After your talk at the top of the citadel with the Illusive man, you talk to the Singularity, which presents the two options. The blue one (on the left side) is to take control of the reapers. The illusive man couldn't do it because he was indoctrinated, but Shepherd can. If you choose this, the reapers stop attacking, you dissolve, and the mass effect relays all shoot off a blue light and explode. The light chases the normandy as it tries to escape through the Mass Relay, but it catches up. Joker, Traynor, Javik (And supposedly the rest of the crew) all jump out of the ship, and supposedly the cycle renews with an Adam, Eve and the Dinosaurs era thing going for it.[/color]
Destroy: The option Anderson would pick is to destroy the Reapers. Doing so will kill all synthetics. The Singularity specifies the Reapers and the Geth and Shepherd (Since Shepherd is part Cyborg), but it would destroy all major technology (rending spaceflight moot). You get the same Joker/Traynor dinosaur ending thing as you did if you decided to control the reapers, but this time, the light that destroys the Mass Relays is RED!

This is what I was hoping they'd do:
Okay, so the Geth aren't the robots, but tons of AI's working together. According to the first ME, the Reapers are the same way: At Ton of AI's all in a space ship. "Each a nation unto itself," "We are Legion; the Vanguard of your Destruction," or something like that.

In ME2, we see the collectors Harvesting colonies so they have enough DNA to make a Human Reaper.

In ME3, they go to earth. Supposedly, they're there so they can get enough Humans to make a bunch of these Human Reapers.

My thought was that since they need a bunch of human's, they must be converting Human's into Reaper AI's so they could opperate Human-Reaper Platforms. In essence, each AI is a Soul opperating the ship, like your crew members would on the Normandy. Shepherd is set apart; She has already died once, and was brought back with cybernetic implants. At the same time, Cerberus gave EDI reaper tech so she could resist hacking attempts by the collectors in ME2. What if they had done something similar to Shep, and she then took full control of a reaper and just went to town on 'em? That kind of thing has been done in games before, but it could have been really cool.

In Closing:
I get that Bioware had a closing that they wanted to do, but it left me wanting for answers and closure, made be feel disempowered, and felt like the finale to Lost.

Gonna let things cool down, play some multiplayer, then play ME2 again so I have a different setup going into ME3. Still an awesome fucking game. Play the fuck out of it guys.

Also; when playing Vanguard, using Charge followed by Nova is one of the sickest moves out there.
Matador
Ninja CEO

Postby Agrajag » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:27 pm

Matador wrote:Also; when playing Vanguard, using Charge followed by Nova is one of the sickest moves out there.

Haha yes. I spent most of the three weeks of the demo doing that over and over and over again in multiplayer.
Sam Logan wrote:When it comes to tunnels and cats, I feel like this story really delivers.

pie wrote:I have transcended commas!
Agrajag
Ninja Technician

Postby Desov2 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:22 pm

Apparently if you play on a new game plus and have all the war assests there are better endings or something for Mass Effect 3, that is what people have told me.
Desov2
Ninja Colonel

Postby Matador » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:31 pm

Been reading reddit on Mass Effect for the past day and a half. There are 17 distinct endings, though they're all variations on the same ending.

Here's what contributes to the ending;

ME2 ending:
Did you save the Collector Base? Changes things slightly; whether you can save earth or not. In each galactic readiness state.

Galactic Readiness:
Based on your galactic readiness, earth ends up in better or worse state after your final choice.

The final decision:
Two options are presented. A third if you have less than 4000 galactic readiness, but more than 2700.
If you use an ME2 save, you get a bonus cutscene featuring Buzz Alderinn telling the legend of Shepherd. You can also get this if you do NGplus. I think it's for getting the "Full Service" accomplishment.

Not quite the depth of Chrono Triggers endings, but you have something to shoot for.

I still say the best Bioware Endings were Darkside in Kotor and Sacrifice in Jade Empire.
Matador
Ninja CEO

Postby stock » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:04 pm

So I managed to get into the Super MNC invitational/beta thing. It's pretty sweet.

It's simple as that, it's simple as that, it's simple as that for your stupid ass.
stock
Ninja Minister

Postby Agrajag » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:45 pm

God damn I hate Kaidan:
He's a total dick to you on Horizon in ME2 and in the beginning of 3. Then after he also pulls a gun on you, he says he wants to be in a relationship. What the fuck dude. I really wish I had either 1. Killed him or 2. Not let him back on the Normandy. Maybe I can get Garrus to beat him up for me.
Sam Logan wrote:When it comes to tunnels and cats, I feel like this story really delivers.

Agrajag
Ninja Technician

Postby Desov2 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:15 pm

Ashley is the same way lol.
Desov2
Ninja Colonel

Postby Matador » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:05 pm

I need to play ME2 again and destroy the reaper base. Maybe lean closer to paragon, date Garrus 'cause his scene on the citadel was a ton of fun... All that good stuff.

Should we start an ME thread?
Matador
Ninja CEO

Postby Agrajag » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:30 pm

Matador wrote:I need to play ME2 again and destroy the reaper base. Maybe lean closer to paragon, date Garrus 'cause his scene on the citadel was a ton of fun... All that good stuff.

Yeah I did all that stuff you did. It is pretty awesome. I'm actually curious what the scene is like if you're not dating him. Also: has anyone tried to date Traynor? It seems like it was an option.

Matador wrote:Should we start an ME thread?

Ultimate Reaper Madness! Make sure everything is properly spoiled though because I haven't finished the game yet.

Agrajag
Ninja Technician

Postby Jim North » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:40 pm

Matador wrote:Should we start an ME thread?

As someone who hasn't even gotten a chance to play the first one yet and would like to not accidentally see any more spoilery stuff than he already has, I'd have to say yes. Yes you should, please.
We are the universe talking to itself.
Jim North
Ninja Minister

Postby Matador » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:51 am

Agrajag wrote:
Matador wrote:I need to play ME2 again and destroy the reaper base. Maybe lean closer to paragon, date Garrus 'cause his scene on the citadel was a ton of fun... All that good stuff.

Yeah I did all that stuff you did. It is pretty awesome. I'm actually curious what the scene is like if you're not dating him. Also: has anyone tried to date Traynor? It seems like it was an option.

Yes, you can date Traynor. She's kind of a slut. Not really a sweetheart like Kelly was. Supposedly you can date Allers, but I never got that far.

The scene with Garrus is prett cool even if you aren't dating him. You're just a couple of bros hangin' out before the apocalypse comes to a close.

Last time I played ME2 I dated Thane. He. Called me Siha, and even though I'm a guy that made me a little blushy.

Alright, Mass Effect thread incoming.
Matador
Ninja CEO

Postby Desov2 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:08 pm

Skullgirls basically has an offical release date. It was leaked by Xbox.com hilariously enough. The date is april 4th so YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYEYSYEYSYEYSYYESYESYESYEYSYESYEYSYEYSYEYSYEYSYEYSYEYSYEYSYEYSYEYSYEYSEYESYEYYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYEYEYEYEYES
Desov2
Ninja Colonel

Postby Ben » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:25 pm

So am I the only person that played through Journey and felt like they'd just been taken by an elaborate con? I mean the game was fun and pretty as anything, but I'm seeing all these reviews for it saying after playing it they feel enlightened, or it's a revolution in games as art and shit. It's just a platformer, not even a particularly good one. Just one with really pretty art.
Ben
Legendary Dead Ninja Who Lives On in Our Hearts

Postby Matador » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:33 pm

I felt that it was an unfinished game that failed to fully explore it's mechanics. For a game as short as it was, there were some parts that were long and tedious.

Basically, the coolest part about the game was gliding around, and the coolest moment for me was discovering that singing recharged another players scarf. First thing I wanted to do when ipI figured that out? Get 3-5 other people and fly around like a flock.

Apart from that, it felt way too similar to Flower, which was a game I really liked. I thought this was going to be a humongous game where you're a swordless Link exploring the desert.

Still pretty cool, but I've played this game before. It kind of made me feel the same way I did when I went from playing Costume Quest to playing Stacking. A lot of the mechanics and the ideas overlapped. Why did you create a new IP when you were designing a sequel?
Matador
Ninja CEO

Postby Ben » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:18 pm

yeah from all the talk of discovery and exploration that the game advertised itself on, I was really dissapointed to find out it was a bunch of levels like a typical platformer, I'd expected a huge open world that you have to walk around and figure out what's going on. There was also all this talk of exploring to find out the story of what happened with ended up being "You sit down at the end of each level and someone explains it all to you" which... isn't exploring to find out the story at all. It's just such an incredibly linear platformer.

But the game tricks you really convincingly into thinking it's something different. Wich is why it feels like I've just been conned.
Ben
Legendary Dead Ninja Who Lives On in Our Hearts

PreviousNext

Return to Media Room