So, I'd been being lazy about getting on the first episode of season 6.5, and kept being lazy about getting caught up and kept being lazy and kept being lazy, then I finally decided to start catching up last night. I had thought I had missed only a few episodes at most during this time, but I was shocked to find that I had missed the entire rest of the season
. So I went through 'em all in one long go. Quick thoughts!Let's Kill Hitler
- At one point I said that I looked forward to seeing a non-River version of Melody with the hopes that she would be a more tolerable character. Those hopes were picked up by this episode, lovingly petted, and then dashed to the ground to break into a million pieces before being doused in kerosene and lit on fire. Hate her SO. MUCH.
But I did like the whole switcheroo tango they had going on. And I kinda liked the captain of the robot, 'cause he reminded me a little of Neil Flynn. Woulda been better if it had actually been Neil Flynn, but whaddayagonnado, eh?Night Terrors
- Well, at least this episode turned out better than when it was called Fear Her
.The Girl Who Waited
- ALL MY TEARS. The God Complex
- Heheh, very good stuff. Seems like they really went all out trying to bring the creepy with this season overall and this half in particular, and this is one of the attempts that truly hit the nail on the head. The ending was very nice, too, and it does the ol' hearts good to see more companions getting a proper sendoff instead of running off in a huff, getting dropped off unceremoniously in the wrong neighborhood, getting trapped in an alternate universe, getting all their memories wiped to avoid a horrible death, or otherwise getting the shaft. Of course we know now that it didn't truly last given the season finale, but it was still nice of the Doctor to try
, anyway.Closing Time
- I like Craig! He could definitely be the new Rory, saving the world and the universe over and over again with the sheer badassery of his feelings
. And a very nice use of the Cybermen! I've been enjoying seeing the contrast of similarities and differences between them and their Cybus cousins. And I loved the Cybermat!The Wedding of River Song
- This one was pretty brilliant, really. It seems almost like I shouldn't like it considering how cluttered it is, but there are just so many amazing moments in it that I can't not like it. All the different time stuff mixed together made for great visuals as well as character moments. The creepy eyepatches took on a level in awesome when it was Rory and Amy wearing them. The Silents continued to establish themselves as truly credible and pretty badass threats, even after their apparent overthrow at the beginning of the season. Rory continued to be his truly badass self. Dorium continued to be awesomely hilarious, especially his "How bad are my injuries?" bit. The distress call was brilliant and a great reinforcement of what the Doctor got a glimmer of in the previous episode . . . just how much good he's done and how much he's really needed. And the way he got out of his own death? Loved it!
A couple of duds for 6.5, in my opinion, but even they weren't horrible or anything. Overall, this has been pretty great. And though I have been enjoying the Doctor as the Oncoming Storm, striding across time and space to bring war to all who would perpetrate evil, I have to say that I very much look forward to things settling back down to where he fights evil more regularly on a more intimate level. Things can't be super epic all the time, after all, or they'll start to get super boring as well!